Sunday, June 2, 2013

Burnt Baby

I will start out by saying this was probably the worst day of my life.  I took the boys to Erda to go to church in Rick and Amy's ward.  Rick was being put into the 1st counselor of the bishopric.  We made it through Sacrament and I decided to go to Rick and Amy's with the boys and Kari's kids to wait for everyone else while they were setting Rick apart.
We got to the house and I changed the kids.  Everyone was just playing and I decided to empty the garbage and check on the food for Amy.  Axl was playing with the dog and I happened to see him start crawling into the toy room out of the corner of my eye.  I started following him and realized at the same time that the pellet stove was on.  It all happened so fast, I started yelling for him to stop and started running after him and I was too late.  He got right up to it and put his right hand on the front of the glass.
I swept him up and ran him to the sink to run it under cold water.  He was sobbing uncontrollably! It was horrible! I knew that he was burnt but had no idea to what extent.  I was home alone with 5 kids under 6.  I tried calling numerous cell phones but of course no one was picking up because they were all in church.  I could not calm him down and knew I needed to get some help...at least to watch the kids so I could take him to the ER.  I loaded him up in the jeep and told Maggie she needed to watch the kids.  I drove as fast as I could to the church looking for any familiar passing cars on the way. I ran in the church and found my dad.  He came out and said he would take me back to Rick and Amys and we could put some Aloe on it to stop the burn.  Once we got back and I was able to look at his hand again I realized I needed to take him straight to the ER...

This is what it looked like once we got to the ER. I don't think they knew who to admit when I showed up...I was distraught.  The Dr. came in and said she was not even going to look at it until she could medicate him and get him to relax a little bit. 

Luckily Grandma was with us and he was able to sleep some on her lap...these cheeks are so red. His entire body was bright red for quite some time. 


Dad showed up just in time from work.  I needed some help at the ER

Once they took the initial dressing off this is what it looked like. They popped the big blister and cut away all the dead skin.  They put medication on it and wrapped it up. 


We were referred to the University of Utah Burn Clinic the following day.  

Poor drugged baby..

This was the final dressing after the ER.  We had to do something major so he would't bite it off. We had to get a picture of Rick with his thumb cast

Happy boy!

Drinking his bottle

Helping Mom work



He looked like a wounded baby bird :-(


His final bandage

No comments:

Post a Comment